Located on Virginia's Eastern Shore, the County traces its roots back to 1603 when an English expedition landed on the Eastern Shore. In 1634, the Accomac Shire was established as one of the original eight shires of Virginia. The name was changed to Northampton County in 1642 until the Eastern Shore was split into two counties in 1663. The northern section assumed the original Accomac name with the southern area keeping Northampton as its name. The spelling of the County's name was changed in 1942; however, the Town of Accomac (also the County Seat) retained the original spelling. The County issues debt under the Code of Virginia pursuant to Title 15.2, Chapter 51.