Located on Virginia's Eastern Shore, the County traces its roots back to 1603 when an English expedition landed on the Eastern Shore. In 1634, the Accomac Shire was established as one of the original eight shires of Virginia. The name was changed to Northampton County in 1642 until the Eastern Shore was split into two counties in 1663. The northern section assumed the original Accomac name with the southern area keeping Northampton as its name. The spelling of the County's name was changed in 1942...
The County was formed in 1858 from parts of Russell County and Tazewell County. It was named for James Buchanan, the 15th President of the United States. Its County seat is Grundy.
The Town of Buchanan was formed in 1811, and named after Col. John Buchanan by a charter of the Virginia House of Burgesses in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The town sits on the banks of the upper James River in Botetourt County, in the Roanoke metro area. From its earliest development Buchanan was the principal crossing of the James River via the "Great Valley Road" and other regional transportation networks.
Buckingham County was established on May 1st, 1761 from the southeastern portion of Albemarle County lying south of the James River. It was probably named for its namesake, Buckinghamshire, in England. The County is established under Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950 and as amended and is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26.
Established in 1975 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly, the Capital Region Airport Commission owns and operates Richmond International Airport (RIC). The Commission directs the growth, operation and business activities of RIC and works tirelessly to ensure it continues to be an affordable option for local, regional and out-of-state travelers.
The City of Chesapeake was formed on January 1, 1963, from the merger of Norfolk County, Virginia, and the City of South Norfolk, Virginia. The City, situated in the western portion of Tidewater Virginia's coastal plain area, covers 353 square miles and is Virginia's second largest city in land area. The City is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26 of the Code of Virginia, 1950 and as amended. The City Charter specifically cites the power to acquire, construct, and maintain b...
Dinwiddie Airport is administered by the Dinwiddie Airport and Industrial Authority, (DAIA). The Authority is enabled by the Virginia General Assembly and is empowered to perform all actions necessary to operate the airfield.
Fairfax was formed in 1742 from the northern part of Prince William County. It was named for Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, proprietor of the Northern Neck. The County is authorized to issue debt pursuant to the Public Finance Act and the Constitution of Virginia, Article VII, Section 10.
The Frederick-Winchester Service Authority was created in 1974 by action taken by the City and the County. The Authority is a public body existing under the provisions of the Virginia Water and Waste Authorities Act that is part of the Code of Virginia (1950) as amended.
Fredericksburg was incorporated as an independent city in 1782, after being initially established as a town in 1728. In 1912, the City became one of the first cities in the nation to adopt the Council-Manager form of government, and its current charter was granted in 1942. The City is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26 of the Code of Virginia.
The Town was founded in 1754 and chartered by the General Assembly of Virginia in 1788. Front Royal is located in Warren County in Northern Virginia approximately 17 miles south of Winchester and 70 miles west of Washington, DC. The Town covers an area of approximately 9 square miles and the Town has power to issue debt under the Code of Virginia pursuant to Title 15.2, Chapter 26-04 of the Public Finance Act.
The County was formed in 1752 by the General Assembly through an Act that divided Lunenburg into two counties. Later in 1766, Halifax was divided into two counties through an Act of the General Assembly. The County is established under Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950 and as amended and is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26.
The Commission was formed on June 29, 1999, to effect the merger of the Peninsula Transportation District Commission and the Tidewater Transportation District Commission effective October 1, 1999. The Commission was established in accordance with Chapter 45 of Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia (1950), as amended, commonly referred to as the Transportation District Act of 1964, and by ordinances as adopted by the governing bodies of its component governments. The Commission provides public transpo...
The City, settled in 1610, is located on the extreme southeasterly tip of the Lower Peninsula of Virginia. The City was incorporated March 30, 1908 and has operated under its present charter since December 16, 1952.
Hanover was established by an act of the Virginia General Assembly in 1720 and was originally part of New Kent County. Hanover is more than 470 square miles in area and is located in the Richmond Regional Planning District Commission (the PDC). The County is established under Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950 as amended and has the legal authority to issue debt subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26.
The Town of Herndon, a mere 4.28 square miles, is a political subdivision of Fairfax County that was chartered in 1879. The Town is established under Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950 and as amended and is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26.
The Sanitary District was created in October 2009 through the Frederick County Circuit Court pursuant to the Code of Virginia. A referendum passed on November 2, 2010, which allowed Frederick County, on behalf of the Sanitary District, to issue up to $10,000,000 to finance the reconstruction of the Dam spillway.
Lunenburg was founded in 1746. The County is established under Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia,1950, as amended and is subject to the Public Finance Act in Title 15.2 Chapter 26.
Lynchburg was founded in 1757 and became an independent city in 1852. Lynchburg is part of the Region 2000 Planning District Commission.